Pages

Monday, November 23, 2015

It's Getting Heavier

I finished two more titles over the weekend that might see awards in January. Neither made the Heavy Medial shortlist, but one of them came up over and over in the comments and the other was mentioned on the blow and I wanted to have a look at it due to its representation of diverse characters. I will say that both made me cry a few tears and gave me some things to think about.

Apple, an American middle schooler who was born in the Philippines, wants a guitar more than anything else. Her mom says no way and is not willing to budge. The chapter titles all refer to songs which creates a playlist for the book. Apple also tracks "IFs" (interesting facts) about the people around her--she believes each person has three IFs. I love the idea of having students come up with their IFs while reading the book. The trials Apple faces in middle school make Blackbird Fly by Erin Entrada Kelly a story we can all relate to.












Ada was born with a club foot and has spent her entire life looking out the window of her London flat. When the war threatens, she and her brother Jamie are evacuated to the English countryside where they learn about all the things they have been missing. Kimberly Brubaker Bradley's The War that Saved My Life was a different perspective on World War II than I had read before--and one that made me cry both sad and happy tears.










I have a few more titles from the shortlist to read--most of which I am waiting for from a recent order. Over the long weekend, I'm planning to squeeze in a few of the titles mentioned on the Printz spectulative blog, Someday My Printz Will Come as well, including:

Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman (recent winner of the National Book Award)
Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow
Lumberjanes Beware the Kitten Holy by Noelle Stevenson
Zeros by Scott Westerfeld
Untwine by Edwidge Danticat

Just when I think I've read quite a bit for the year, shortlists are presented . . . and I realize how little of the surface I have scratched! What books do you think might end up with medals in January?

No comments:

Post a Comment