Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Genre Kahoot

When our students used the iPads during their testing session, I promised that we would play Kahoot together on their next library visit. The list of great things about Kahoot keeps expanding each time I get the opportunity to use it and/or see it in action. For this visit, I found a game that included genres since this is something we are working on as a part of our goal to have the students find books of choice independently. I was able to easily and quickly modify the game to suit our students' needs (and I think I would fine tune it even more in the future--and probably eventually write my own version--having had the chance to see how students reacted to the questions).
A question as it appears on the screen
The answer screen as it appears following the question
My laptop screen at the beginning of the game

The answer grid on the students' screens

The iPad screen once a student has selected an answer choice


The leaderboard--the kids loved this part as they seemed to enjoy the competitive nature of the game
 Once the students received the iPads and logged into Kahoot, the game progressed quickly. I liked how it was interactive and all of the students were engaged during the entire game. Even when a student got a question wrong, he/she knew that the next question was a chance to be redeemed. At the end of the game, I was able to download the results to my Google Drive so I could see which questions each student missed and assess the overall knowledge of the group. Many teachers here use Kahoot as a review game, but I can also see using it as a formative assessment and/or an exit ticket. Our students enjoyed the activity and I plan to continue using the iPads for Kahoot on a regular basis. I also have a teacher piloting Plickers in order to engage his students. What other technology tools have you used to increase student engagement and achievement?

2 comments:

  1. Laura--I just learned about Kahoot in my iPad class at KRESA and love it too. My ideas for how to use it in a library setting were so similar to yours. I love that it worked so well! I also tested out Quizizz, which is similar to Kahoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to use and I would definitely do it again! Glad the iPad class is covering it :-)

      Delete