Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Gary Schmidt at Bookbug

Signed to the Maple Street Readers
The owners of Bookbug, a local independent bookstore, invited me to have dinner with Gary Schmidt last week before he did a reading of his new title Orbiting Jupiter at their store. Bookbug is a special place. It opened about eight years ago as a book store for children and has since expanded to include adult titles as well. I can go in and get lost for hours among the books and unique book-related items they stock. I was thrilled to be included among a group of local librarians and educators and enjoyed conversation with Gary about obscure picture books, the class he teaches at Calvin College, and his day visiting several local schools.

After our dinner, we arrived at the store and Schmidt told us about his inspiration for Orbiting Jupiter (an article he read years ago combined with a visit to a juvenile prison in Northern Michigan) and read a chapter from the book. He also told about the incredible experience of editing his late wife's picture books. I always find audience questions add depth to an author visit and this time was no different. Schmidt was asked about how he finds the voice of his protagonists and he shared some experiences that have helped him bring his characters alive. I like to make not of quotes when I hear a speaker and my favorite of the evening was definitely, "Everyone remembers middle school vividly, but no one wants to relive it." As I have interacted with middle schoolers each day of the past 16 years, I tend to agree with that sentiment. However, the fodder for character development is rich and plentiful!

I purchased a copy of Orbiting Jupiter and had it signed for our library. I read it in a couple of days and the characters remain with me a week later. I'm thinking about kids who fall through cracks and how one act could be the action that changes the course of a person's life. It's interesting that this theme finds me again: G. Neri had me thinking similarly earlier this month--and he named Gary Schmidt as one of his favorite authors and inspirations. The world is a small place indeed.


Ed Spicer took this picture of me and Gary Schmidt at Oakwood Bistro. I enjoyed getting to catch up with Ed and hear stories about his first grade classroom, as well as his experiences on the Printz and Caldecott committees.

No comments:

Post a Comment